Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Oh please...auction

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh please...auction

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I don't feel that's a defense, it's still ripping off the unwary by claiming to be something it's not.

    If he had said Altec components that is different.
    In the body of the auction he does specify components. Given the wordiness of the auction I'm betting he doesn't know how to say it correctly in the title in few words...... while readable, it's obvious English is not his first language.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh please...auction

    I was gonna post about these a while ago.... but I figured most would have seen these allready... Looks like he does this continuously...

    I have to give the Japanese audiophile/phreaks credit and thanks for saving a LOT of audio history...oh well, wish I would have been old enough to been able to pick up all that tube gear that was put out when the SS units came along... I still hope to find a nice cache one dayand to post pics of all the gear and literature....

    /daydreaming off


    -chris

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh please...auction

    Hmm, I just knew that if I started comparing those "Peerless" TL-217 transformer decals to an original, that there'd be some difference:

    FWIW the decals on my transformers have a light blue - not gold - center banner !

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh please...auction

    Asian amp's "vintage Altec O/P Xformer" has 4, 8, 16 ohm (how convenient for modern spkrs), but original only has 2 taps: 12 & 24 ohm !

    And...

    Their "TL-604" power transformer doesn't seem right: Mine says TJ-604 and is larger - not the same size - than the O/P Xformer. It also doesn't have international voltage taps like Asian amplifier !

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Oh please...auction

    Good detective work, H.S.!

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh please...auction

    I've always had a nagging suspicion about some of the old Marantz stuff on Ebay. You never see any old, beat up units....just perfect, extremely rare amps for 10 grand and more. Asia is so good at knocking off and copying everything from watches to aircraft parts...why not old amps.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Oh please...auction


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Oh please...auction

    Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    I've always had a nagging suspicion about some of the old Marantz stuff on Ebay. You never see any old, beat up units....just perfect, extremely rare amps for 10 grand and more. Asia is so good at knocking off and copying everything from watches to aircraft parts...why not old amps.
    In the 60's a prominent men's magazine suggested a way to get a free vacation. You bought an expensive suit, flew to Hong Kong, and had tailors there bang out replicas. You wound up with a high quality wardrobe cheaper, and got a free trip to Hong Kong. Since the suits were a business expense, deduct the whole thing.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Oh please...auction

    Well, that transformer certainly does indicate they aren't the real thing. Since I have no experience with the old tube amps, I would have never seen that.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.